- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A Typical Day
The first 200 words of this essay...
February 23, 2006
A Typical Day
Theodore R. Sizer's "What High School Is" depicts the average American high school students' Monday through Friday schedule. Mark, the character in "What High School Is," is a sixteen-year-old student attending Fraklin High School. Sizer portrays him as a likeable contemporary student whose schedule is much like a factory-line, modified for a student's schedule to go from raw material to the finished product. Sizer states that the school system is very similar to being employed full-time from 9 to 5, five-days-a-week. Sizer in describing a "typical" school day of the average American student acknowledges that the high school system is a flawed system lacking the "connection between stated goals...and the goals" actually achieved. This flaw merely characterizes a system of dubious objectives not corresponding to the eloquently stated purpose of education.
A conventional school day illustrated by Sizer depicts a daily routine many perceive to be a substitution of a child into an adult work environment. This is an environment in which many students such as Mark, experience class after class. It is a laborious "job" requiring total
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Teaching (view all)
- Inclusion and Special Educational Needs
- A reflection of my overall experience of the work placement
- A Reflective Practice Assignment Demonstrating Personal and ...
- Leadership and Management in Early Years Education.
- Reflective Report On Group Project
- Compare your school Ofsted Report to the Steer Report of the...
- Should all school students be encouraged to go to university...
- Teaching and the Law. Summarize the key aspects and current ...
- Outline the similarities and differences between the notions...
- I am currently working as a nursery nurse (practitioner) in ...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.