- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Outline and evaluate the process of Labelling and self-fulfilling prophecy As factors in the under achievement of Some pupils in school.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Outline and evaluate the process of
Labelling and self-fulfilling prophecy
As factors in the under achievement of
Some pupils in school.
Labelling and self-fulfilling prophecies are main factors in the educational system and therefore have a profound effect on the individuals self-concept and behaviour. Throughout I will outline and examine some socialists arguments.
Labels can be applied to individuals from people who have a position of authority, I.E. Teachers, parents, etc...Teachers have been a prevalent force of labelling and self-fulfilling prophecy throughout the centuries, they generally come from a middle class background and the identify more with the middle class student. Their judgements against pupils are influenced by factors other than ability to achieve but issues arising from speech, dress and social background.
One socialist, Talcott Parsons argued that schools take over from the family as a primary source of socialisation. He believed that the schools were meritocracy regardless of class, those who had ability would achieve in school and later progress in adult life, whereas those without ability would do less and have a more menial level of achievement. Parson was criticised on his theory for failing to give consideration
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Teaching (view all)
- Inclusion and Special Educational Needs
- A Reflective Practice Assignment Demonstrating Personal and ...
- Schools as Organisations. Summarise entitlement and provisio...
- Removing barriers to achievement - Response to the Governmen...
- Leadership and Management in Early Years Education.
- Compare your school Ofsted Report to the Steer Report of the...
- Should all school students be encouraged to go to university...
- Teaching and the Law. Summarize the key aspects and current ...
- Outline the similarities and differences between the notions...
- I am currently working as a nursery nurse (practitioner) in ...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.