- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The historical development of education.
- Essay length: 4030 words
- Submitted: 23/01/2004
The first 200 words of this essay...
Society, Schools and Culture
In this essay I will start by looking at the historical development of education. The initial Education Act was brought out in 1870 where compulsory education was first introduced though never enforced. The students of this time would study the three R's, "reading, riting, rithmetic"; this was provided to create a work force.
The 1944 Butler Act introduced the eleven plus as well as a meritocratic system. Grammar, comprehensives and technical schools were established.
In 1976 Jim Callaghan initiated the 'great debate' around the methods and standards in education. 1988 saw the incoming of the Education Reform Act which brought in the National curriculum. Children were now to be tested at the ages of 7, 11, 14 and 16 to try and raise school standards. They had to study Maths, Science, English, History, Geography, Technology, Music, Art and Physical Education; at the age of 11-16 they were required to study a foreign language. Up to this point schools were run by the local education department. Schools could 'Opt out'; if they did this then they would get their money straight from the government. This meant that these schools would look
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Teaching (view all)
- Inclusion and Special Educational Needs
- A Reflective Practice Assignment Demonstrating Personal and ...
- Leadership and Management in Early Years Education.
- Schools as Organisations. Summarise entitlement and provisio...
- Self - Esteem, Praise, Encouragement - The Key to Student Su...
- Compare your school Ofsted Report to the Steer Report of the...
- Should all school students be encouraged to go to university...
- Teaching and the Law. Summarize the key aspects and current ...
- Outline the similarities and differences between the notions...
- I am currently working as a nursery nurse (practitioner) in ...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student