- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Design of a Beam
- Essay length: 4556 words
- Submitted: 04/09/2009
The first 200 words of this essay...
Stress Analysis PBL
Design of a Beam
The report centred around the design of a beam to hold a load in a real-world scenario. First the topic is introduced, then the background theory and statistics of the materials are presented. The bulk of the calculations were performed by computer as presented in the discussion section but these were also performed by more theoretical methods to check the results were consistent. Various cross-sections are considered along with two different ways of mounting the beam along with the environmental and financial advantages of the particular materials. The report then concludes based on the findings presented in the discussion that the load should be distributed on a mild steel beam with an "I" shaped cross-section.
1. Abstract Page 2
2. Introduction Page 3
3. Background Theory Page 4
Stress Page 9
Cross Section Page 21
Stress Page 25
Cross Section Page 28
Safety Factors Page 20
Environment Page 30
6. Conclusions Page 31
7. Final Design Page 32
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Engineering (view all)
- The objective of this experiment was to determine the compre...
- Heat Conduction Lab. The objective of this lab was to learn...
- construction science and materials
- Partnering,PPP,PFI in construction
- Linear measurment. The objective of this fieldwork is to co...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.