- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The greatest development of the 20th Century in the Naval Service is the aircraft carrier's rapid response capability.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The greatest development of the 20th Century in the Naval Service is the aircraft carrier's rapid response capability. The development of the aircraft carrier is in itself, a profound accomplishment, but beyond the scope of this discussion. Supporting the thesis statement in this paper, however, is not based on the engineering feat or technological advancement achieved by the development of the aircraft carrier, but rather on the response capability delivered in combat. More specifically, the focus of this paper will be on the two main elements of rapid response; mobility and power.
First, the mobility of the aircraft carrier provided throughout the 20th Century was unsurpassed. A major aspect of mobility is speed. In WWII, Vietnam and the Gulf War, the carrier demonstrated the ability to move at superior speeds to all other ships in the fleet. Their capability to travel at speeds in excess of 30 knots makes this asset extremely mobile in response to any attack. VADM John Nathman points out that the sustainability and survivability of the aircraft carrier is also an overwhelming advantage over any smaller ship [Association of Naval Aviation, article by VADM John Nathman]. While it may be true that some
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Engineering (view all)
- Trifilar Suspension Lab experiment
- Extrusion. The aim of this experiment was to examine the eff...
- Atomic absorption spectroscopy. In this experiment, the char...
- Tensile test report.
- Members of the design team and their job roles in a construc...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.