- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Qinghai-Tibet Railway.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Qinghai-Tibet Railway originates in Xining, capital of Qinghai Province, which is 1,142 kilometers (713 miles) long. With about 600 kilometers of the railway is built within the Tibet Autonomous Region, it is however, the first railway that linking Tibet with the western part of China, and it will extend from Lhasa, the Tibetan capital to Golmud, a traffic hub in Qinghai Province. Once the construction completed, it will become the longest and most elevated railway built on highlands in the world, and will later be extended to Shigaze and Linzhi in Tibet, and Yunnan Province in southwest China.
The acme of the Qinghai-Tibet Railway is 5,072 meters above sea level, and more than 960 kilometers, or four-fifths of the railway will be built at an altitude of more than 4,000 meters. Nearly half of the railway (550 kilometers) will be laid on continuous and permanent frozen earth, and the rest of the railway will pass through the grasslands, natural reserve zone, wetlands, and also the arid desert region.
The Chinese Government has wanted to build such a railway since the 1950s, shortly after the Communist Army took over control of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Engineering (view all)
- In this assignment I will be identifying and explaining the ...
- Thermofluid Mechanics and Mechanical Design lab report
- The Role of the Quantity Surveying Profession within the con...
- Members of the design team and their job roles in a construc...
- The 4 major types of bridges and the main factors which need...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.