- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Linguistic Situation in Canada-Qubc. The changing linguistic landscape of Quebec
The first 200 words of this essay...
Linguistic Situation in Canada-Québéc
The period from the middle of the nineteenth century to the middle of the twentieth century was a time of important social and cultural growth in Quebec. This time would play a vital role in the establishment of the respect of the rights of French Canadians. During this time many educational institutions were founded, these included universities such as Laval, the first francophone Catholic university in 1852. The policy development and establishment of educational institutions would allow for the maintenance and development of the French language in Quebec.
Challenges of the French language in Quebec
After Confederation in 1867, for economic reasons the English language held a strong position in Quebec. Business was conducted in English and this increased the need for French Canadians to become bilingual. Early in the twentieth century, two historic movements marked the progress towards bilingualism. The establishment of the postage stamps in 1927 and bank notes in 1936 as bilingual was seen as symbolic aspects towards bilingualism in the country (Ploudre in Conrick, 2000, p174).
The Quiet revolution and its effect on the language
The Quiet Revolution was characterized by the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
French (view all)
- francais publicite
- Commentaire compos sur Candide, Voltaire, chapitre 6
- L'histoire de l'occupation et de la libération au...
- Discuss the importance of inarticulateness/silence/taciturni...
- Analyse the significance of Lipovetskys use of the terms pos...
- The experience of war brings to light not only the power of ...
- French literature. La faon dont lamour a t reprsent traver...
- Lorenzaccio - Commentaire partir d'une citation de Loc Chot...
- Impact de la logique dinnovation sur le choix du business mo...
- Voltaire's Candide: Historically- and Socially-Founded Chara...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.