- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Coming of Age in Mississippi. Anne Moodys memoir, Coming of Age in Mississippi, portrays her life experiences and the troubles she faced growing up in Mississippi before and during the African-American civil rights movement.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Coming of Age in Mississippi
The United States during the mid-twentieth century is often described as being a time of conformity and compliance. However, it also represents a time in which the seeds of rebellion were being planted within American society. As these seeds began to grow so too did the African-American civil rights movement in the United States. Even though African-Americans had been granted their freedom following the Civil War and even gained the right to vote, they were still treated as second class citizens, especially in the South. Anne Moody's memoir, "Coming of Age in Mississippi", portrays her life experiences and the troubles she faced growing up in Mississippi before and during the African-American civil rights movement.
Moody begins her memoir by reflecting on her rough childhood around the time that she was four years old. Anne lived in a two bedroom shack with her mother, father, and younger sister on a plantation owned by a white man known as Mr. Carter. Many other African-Americans also lived on this plantation and like Anne's mother and father, they too were sharecroppers. Sharecropping is defined as an
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
1950-1999 (view all)
- What are the major factors that led to the end of the cold w...
- Did Britain become a Classless Society after 1945?
- The Aims of the Marshall Plan.
- What factors helped bring an end to the Cold War?
- "Khrushchev's leadership was a failure," Do you ag...
- Discuss how and why British culture changed so dramatically ...
- Konrad Adeneur. Adenauer understood that rearmament was an ...
- Analysis of Jean Hatzfeld's novel, The Antelope's Strategy: ...
- Assess the success and failures of Thatcherism.
- Critically evaluate the revisionist position that it was the...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.