- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Critically Assess Jinnah's view that India was made of two nations.
- Essay length: 4144 words
- Submitted: 31/12/2010
The first 200 words of this essay...
Critically Assess Jinnah's claim that India was made of two-nations
Muhammad Ali Jinnah, who is seen as the founder of Pakistan was earlier in his career an ambassador of Hindu-Muslim politics and member of the Indian National Congress in the 1920's.1 However, in 1934, after a period of exile, he radically shifted his ideas, became leader of the Muslim League and pushed the demand for Muslim Separatism.2 In March 1940 he put forward the two-nation theory that was used as a basis for his demand for Pakistan and the creation of a separate Muslim state within India.3 He believed that India was made of two nations, those of Hindus and Muslims. The Muslims formed a minority group in India, and he believed that they deserved a separate state that would satisfy their needs. However, whether this two-nation theory was valid and successfully put into practice is controversial. In order to fully assess Jinnah's claim for a separate state, an examination of the background leading up to the two-nation theory and the 1930's and 1940's in India is required.
This idea that India was made up of two nations was not something new. Its roots lie in the late
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
1920-1949 (view all)
- This report will analyse both the negative and positive impa...
- Why did the Labour Party win the General Election of 1945?
- Analysis of P.H.M Bell's book The Origins of the Second Worl...
- "How did Operation Barbarossa and the Japanese attack o...
- The Holocaust was not planned from the beginning, it was the...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo