- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Epicurus theorized that what one considers as living a good life is just learning how to maximize pleasure and minimize pain. This is contained in the Philosophy of Hedonism,
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Wisdom to Know the Difference
Is wisdom more valuable than philosophy itself? Philosophy is quite simply defined as the love of wisdom. Wisdom, however is much more difficult to define, but we can consider wisdom as the ability to judge what is right through knowledge and experience. So, it does not seem possible that philosophy in itself can be more valuable than wisdom. Epicurus argues that wisdom is more valuable than philosophy itself because it measures pleasure against pain. Pain that a wise man endures is never so severe that he can find pleasure in knowing that the pain will not last forever. Adding to the measures of pleasure against pain, he also states having wisdom allows a man to not fear death, since death involves neither pleasure nor pain. A wise man does not dwell on the past, nor does he fear the future. In fact a wise man looks forward to the future, and enjoys the present. All of these arguments by Epicurus are summarized in the following quote: "It is impossible to live a pleasant life without living wisely and honorably and justly, and it is impossible to live wisely and honorably and justly without
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- "A Good Man is Hard to Find"
- The Origin Of The Werewolf Legend
- The Influence of Repentance on the Self and Society. In his ...
- God Of Small Things - Significance of the title.
- Coleridge, Nature and God
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Zoey. University Student.