- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Examples of how fallacies can be used in argumentative writing.
- Essay length: 3509 words
- Submitted: 05/02/2012
The first 200 words of this essay...
Ricky C. Camus / BSAT3-2
January 30, 2012
Examples from newspaper clips and magazines, book passages.
Appeal to Misleading Authority
The only policy that effectively reduces public shootings is right-to-carry laws. Allowing citizens to carry concealed handguns reduces violent crime. In the 31 states that have passed right-to-carry laws since the mid-1980s, the number of multiple-victim public shootings and other violent crimes has dropped dramatically. Murders fell by 7.65%, rapes by 5.2%, aggravated assaults by 7%, and robberies by 3%.
Explanation: These examples are the use of misleadingly precise numbers, specifically, "7.65%" and "5.2%" in the anti-gun control example. Especially in social science studies, percentage precision to the second decimal place is meaningless, since it is well within the margin of error on such measurements. It is a typical tactic of pseudo-scientific argumentation to use overly-precise numbers in an attempt to impress and intimidate the audience.
Source: "Fact Card", Handgun Control, Inc.
"How am I to get in?" asked Alice again, in a louder tone.
"Are you to get in at all?" said the Footman, "That's the first question, you know."
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Explain how the Theodicy of Irenaeus differs from that of Au...
- In this paper, I am going to compare and contrast Hume's emp...
- John Locke versus Niccolo Machiavelli.
- Critically examine the via negativa as an approach to unders...
- Compare and contrast rationalist and empiricist approaches t...
- Questions on the dialogue of Socrates and Laches
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.