- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain what is meant by a natural law approach to ethics.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explain what is meant by a Natural Law approach to Ethics.
Natural law is an absolutist theory. According to said theory there are easily definable moral absolutes; both right and wrong discovered through reason and observations. These codes are the same in all religions, cultures and times. The laws do not take into account relative situations and do not change to fit the circumstances in which they may be more helpful. The natural order is determined by a supernatural power-most commonly referred to as God. The laws are independent of public opinion and are unchangeable. The natural law exists to assist humans to direct their actions in such a way that they will reach their final purpose and eternal destiny with God.
The natural law theory was developed by St Thomas Aquinas. He was an absolutist and deontological theorist. This means that he believed that actions were intrinsically right or wrong, irrespective of their consequences. He worked through the 12th century bringing different ideas from different cultures together. His work was heavily influenced by a Greek philosopher Aristotle. The mediaeval church rejected Aristotle's ideas, as they believed he was trying to replace religion with reason, which
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Explain as clearly as you can Isaiah Berlin's distinction be...
- Critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of politica...
- Waiting for Godot - Meaningless of Life
- "How effectively does Gittings challenge the view that ...
- Plautus and Terence
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.