- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Federation was the beginning of Australias history as one united nation. The notion of Federation first surfaced in the 1840s and 60s.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Federation was the beginning of Australia's history as one united nation. The notion of Federation first surfaced in the 1840s and 60s. Federation can be defined as the unification of six colonies under a common national Parliament and thereby creating one national state1. Federation officially occurred on January 1st 1901, with six colonies joining together and creating a commonwealth which symbolised the powerful unity of shared wealth and defence system. In 1891, the federation convention first drafted the constitution of the Australian Commonwealth2. As with many other ideas throughout history Federation gave way to both opposition and support. This idea is said to have derived from a number of different reasons. These reasons include; Australia's defence and foreign policy; the issue of immigration; and economic unity to include transport, trade and tax.
One of the first key reasons put forward for federation was Australia's defence policy. During the late 1800s, Australia became especially concerned with its close position to neighbouring foreign powers; the 'threat' from Asia and imperial forces. At this time the states within Australia were all working as independent nations and each had their own defence forces. However it soon became evident that each of these
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
1900-1919 (view all)
- Why was the Battle of the Somme 1916 such a disaster for the...
- Why was Kaiser Wilhelm II overthrown in 1918?
- The impact of WWI on British Society
- Analyse Woodrow Wilson's objectives in entering World War I ...
- What were the causes of the First World War? In this literat...
- WW1 Research Paper - The Actual Impact of Chemical Warfare i...
- Sir Arthur William Currie - this paper will attempt to prove...
- The purpose of this essay is to analyze the causes of the Bo...
- Why History Matters
- West End Commercial Development and the Need to Redefine Ge...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Zoey. University Student.