- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
I Pledge Allegiance to a Monotheistic God. Arguing in favour of using the Pledge of Alleigance in American Schools.
The first 200 words of this essay...
4th hour Eilerman
I Pledge Allegiance to a Monotheistic God
Two words arise questioning the United States' most basic truths. Even for Mehlville High School the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance had kept the school from reciting it every morning. However, starting in 2010, Denise Swanger decided things should change. Mehlville's new principal supports her decision by saying "Mehlville Senior High is a school of character and therefore we do some things just because it is the right thing to do. By saying the pledge every morning, I believe it is way of honoring all the men and women who fight and have fought to defend our freedom in the United States. I also believe it allows us at MHS to honor and show our pride for our country" (Swanger). However, she failed to mention the overlying controversy. Does the pledge, in fact, exercise freedom of religion; do the words "under God" make the pledge unconstitutional? Analyzing the extent to this question digs deep into the founding and traditions of this country, which now stands a culturally diverse nation. Despite its outward appearance of monotheistic enforcement and religious
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- A Critique of Descartes' Trip In and Out of Skepticism.
- ‘Unless we assume that everyone is free to make mor...
- Does John Stuart Mill's On Liberty make a well thought out a...
- Questioning Abortion. Marquis's argument gives us the view ...
- Are any of descartes' arguments for the existence of god per...
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.