- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In the course of this essay I intend to broadly present Aquinas's interpretation of God.I will first consider his five proofs of Gods existence, then look at his account of God's composition
The first 200 words of this essay...
Philosophy of Aquinas.
Vi) Discuss Aquinas on God
In the course of this essay I intend to broadly present Aquinas's interpretation of God.
I will first consider his five proofs of Gods existence, then look at his account of God's composition and then finally attend to his views on God's power. It will be useful to briefly examine Thomas's life and career first however, as a means to understanding the context from which his ideas emerge. St. Thomas Aquinas was was born in 1225 at Roccasecca, halfway between Rome and Naples. He completed his studies in Paris and from there spent much of his early life living in different domminican centres throughout Italy with the Mobile Papal Court. He died in 1274 on route to the council of Lyon. Aquinas was remarkable in that he was convinced that the existence of God could, and should be proved by rational philosophical investigation rather than by faith alone. He believed that Aristotle's ideas and methods were appropriate for Christianity and that the latter would even benefit from the former. In his Metaphysics he incorporates the Aristotelian ideas of potency, act, matter, form, essence and existence and uses these to provide
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Waiting for Godot - Meaningless of Life
- God Of Small Things - Significance of the title.
- Explain as clearly as you can Isaiah Berlin's distinction be...
- 'Dr. Faustus is a morality play without a moral.' Discuss.Le...
- John Milton, Sonnet XIX: On His Blindness.
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.