- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
'It has been claimed that Britains financial institutions were too oriented towards overseas investment between 1870 and 1914 and that this led to the neglect of domestic industry. Discuss
The first 200 words of this essay...
British Economic History
''It has been claimed that Britain's financial institutions were too oriented towards overseas investment between 1870 and 1914 and that this led to the neglect of domestic industry.
(a) Examine whether British industry could gain sufficient funds from the financial sector.
(b) Consider whether an alternative institution, such as the investment banks found in Germany, was needed to improve British industry.''
Overseas investment,and most particularly,capital exports,is one of the most interesting and important historical phenomena of the period 1860-1914.Paish,in order to define the magnitude of these capital exports,estimated that the total stock of overseas British assets just before First World War,was not less than 4 billion pounds,the one third of the British wealth. Never before or since,has one nation invested so much of its national income to capital formation abroad. The reasons for this preference to foreign investments are controversial. However,in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries there were two streams of though concerning why financial institutions and individuals had turned to overseas investment. The first one,is that foreign investments had higher returns than the domestic ones,but there is a dispute here about whether these funds were pushed
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
1800-1899 (view all)
- Discuss the development and popularity of the seaside holida...
- Why did British agriculture decline after 1870?
- Disraelian Conservatism 1846-1880.
- Benin art - what can it tell us about cross-cultural encount...
- To what extent was 'the new imperialism' a reflection of dev...
- The hierarchical society that was present in the American So...
- Total War is as much a myth as total victory or total defeat...
- Article Review of De Vries' The Industrial Revolution and th...
- The revolutions would not have occurred without the economic...
- The Development of the Telegraph and its Social Impact
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo