- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
'Look at you. You black, you pore, you ugly, you a woman. Goddam he say, you nothing at all'. What are the major themes of the novel The Color Purple?
The first 200 words of this essay...
3. 'Look at you. You black, you pore, you ugly, you a woman. Goddam he say, you nothing at all'. What are the major themes of the novel The Color Purple?
The Color Purple, written by Alice Walker, details the life of an African American girl called Celie, who narrates her life story through letters that she writes to God. The major themes of The Color Purple are the importance of sisterhood, the presence of racial tensions, and the irrelevance of religion.
The female characters in The Color Purple are seen as only objects to men, stranded in a male dominated world, that they are unable to retaliate against. This male domination stems from the desire of black men to have authority in a white dominated world, and this desire is carried out on the women. The best way for women to survive in this world is to stick together and to band together as sisters. Sisterhood is the love, support and guidance that women provide each other. There are many examples of sisterhood in the novel. The most important case of sisterhood in the novel is the relationship between Celie and Shug Avery. Although the first time
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Waiting for Godot - Meaningless of Life
- "Disembodied existence can never be explained coherentl...
- Explain as clearly as you can Isaiah Berlin's distinction be...
- What is the relationship between mind and body?
- Comparison of the Vedic Hymn of Creation with Genesis.
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.