- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Rationalism vs. Empiricism
The first 200 words of this essay...
(Date of Submission)
Rationalist and Empiricist view on Infinite Regress
The debate between rationalism and empiricism falls under the branch of knowledge. The study of knowledge addresses "questions of what we can know, how we can know what we know, and what knowledge is . . ." (Law 49). A central discussion here is the debate between rationalists and empiricists. Rationalism is the "belief that pure reasoning untainted by sense perception will yield incorrigible truths . . . and no experience is necessary to know that it is true" (Greetham 101). On the other hand, "empiricists claim that sense experience is the ultimate source of all our concepts and knowledge" (Markie, "Rationalism vs. Empiricism"). Despite the conflict between both, is there anything they may have in common?
The common factor between rationalism and empiricism is skepticism. Skepticism addresses the question of justifying our knowledge. It asks the question on how do we know that we know? Michael Huemer offers four arguments for skepticism. However, I shall only focus on the infinite regress argument. This paper aims to provide an answer to the following question, how
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Waiting for Godot - Meaningless of Life
- 'Dr. Faustus is a morality play without a moral.' Discuss.Le...
- "A Good Man is Hard to Find"
- The Origin Of The Werewolf Legend
- Does John Stuart Mill's On Liberty make a well thought out a...
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.