- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Was it western technology that allowed Corte's to conquer the Aztecs?
The first 200 words of this essay...
ESSAY QUESTION 3: Was it western technology that allowed Corte's to conquer the Aztecs?
There were two universal reasons which motivated Europeans in the mid fifteenth and seventeenth centuries, to seek out geographical exploration. First, and the most obvious was the desire to acquire more in terms of material wealth, and the second most important motive was that of religious fervour. The quickest way to get rich was to exploit the labour of those who worked on land either through the establishment of fiefdoms in Europe, or in the absence of private wars, the next best alternative was to exploit new land, either unoccupied or inhabited by a race of useless people who could be gotten rid of easily.1
Aside from the economic considerations, fifteenth century European man was a devout if not orthodox individual whose devotion led him to either seek out and convert, or ensure through military and political means, the security of his own religious beliefs and its superiority over others.
The Spanish conquest of Mexico, was an expedition led by Hernan Cortes, along the same ideological lines, with these very economic gains in mind. What differs it form
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Ancient History (view all)
- Did the Suez Crisis hasten the end of the British Empire?
- Eberhard Sauers book from 2004, Archaeology and Ancient Hist...
- Discuss how Tennyson has presented the Victorian age/spirit ...
- Why was British decolonisation after 1945 so easy to achieve...
- It is clear that Alexander set out to create a unified empir...
- Does Herodotus offer adequate explanations for Greek colonis...
- What threat did the Vikings pose to Carolingian Christianity...
- To what extent is Thucydides critical of democracy? Is he le...
- Duane W. Roller's "Cleopatra: A Biography" Book R...
- Origins of War in Civilization
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.