- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What is the Qabbalah?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What is the Qabbalah?
'The Qabbalah (or Kabbalah) is the name given in post biblical Hebrew to the oral tradition handed down from Moses to the Rabbis of the Mishna and Talmud.'1 This description offers perhaps is good basis of what, in simplified terms, the Qabbalah is. In actuality the Qabbalah is a little more complex in its definition. Generally the Qabbalah can be described more precisely as a 'commonly used term for the esoteric teachings of Judaism and Jewish Mysticism.'2 These descriptions, however, can still be elaborated upon.
The term Qabbalah first appeared in the works of Solomon Ibn Gabriol, a philosopher and poet, in the 11th Century. It then later appeared in the esoteric theosophical teachings that were prevalent in Northern Spain and Provence during the 12th and 13th centuries. It is thought to have arisen due to a philosophical influence it had upon those Jewish people who sought to obtain a profound understanding of the established forms of Judaism and the concepts that Judaism presented. However there is no geographical or historical explanation as to why it appeared in this particular stage in history. It is argued that this was due to a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Waiting for Godot - Meaningless of Life
- God Of Small Things - Significance of the title.
- Does John Stuart Mill's On Liberty make a well thought out a...
- What is the relationship between mind and body?
- The Sumerian Lifestyle and Their Contributions to the Modern...
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.