- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What Is the Value If Studying Philosophy?
The first 200 words of this essay...
WHAT IS THE VALUE IF STUDYING PHILOSOPHY?
ISAAC GONDWE ACCESS TO H E, CITY COLLEGE OF BRISTOL, 2002/2003.
Philosophy has been in existence for many centuries ago .This is the case because it bears certain values that are achieved in studying it. This essay will analyse this question using the arguments presented in defining philosophy and its branches.
According to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary ,"philosophy is seeking after wisdom or knowledge especially that which deals with ultimate reality or with the most general causes or principles of things and ideas and human perception and knowledge of them, physical phenomena (natural philosophy) and ethics (moral philosophy)".
According to this definition most of the values of studying philosophy may be derived from it. Philosophy clarifies language. It is the tool with which we expose nonsense and express ideas in a way that is unambiguous as possible. Mell Thophson in his book called, "Teach Yourself Philosophy" says that philosophy makes a distinction between "analytic" and "synthetic" statements. He says that analytic statements are known to be true once the definition of their terms are understood, for example 2+2 =4. Analytic statements do not require research or experimental
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Compare and contrast rationalist and empiricist approaches t...
- The Sumerian Lifestyle and Their Contributions to the Modern...
- In this paper, I will explain why I believe compatibilism is...
- Is there any good reason to think there exists a mind-indepe...
- Outline the arguments for and against life after death?
- Questions on the dialogue of Socrates and Laches
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.