- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What was 'containment', and to what extent did the US and UK work together to implement it?
The first 200 words of this essay...
11. What was 'containment', and to what extent did the US and UK work together to implement it?
The Cold War, the confrontation between America and the Soviet Union, each supported by their allies, dominated world politics from 1945 to 1991. The USSR was politically and economically the opposite of almost everything America and Britain stood for. Nevertheless, the Second World War and the threat of Nazism brought the two sides together in a marriage of convenience in order to defeat Hitler. In fact, Franklin D. Roosevelt liked to cite an old Balkan proverb from time to time during the Second World War 'to explain the use of questionable allies to achieve unquestionable objectives: "My children, it is permitted you in time of grave danger walk with the devil until you have crossed the bridge."' Once that aim had been achieved the basis of their co-operation had disappeared. Furthermore, the issues which confronted the allies at the end of the war were complex - the future of Germany and Poland, the fate of the other liberated countries in Eastern Europe, reparations, the foundation of the United Nations, the control and use of atomic technology- and both sides had
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
1950-1999 (view all)
- AIDS Epidemic in Africa
- What factors helped bring an end to the Cold War?
- How important were nuclear weapons in shaping the cold war?
- The Aims of the Marshall Plan.
- Why Did Senator Joseph McCarthy Have Sucha Big Impact on Ame...
- Wars of counter-insurgency cannot be won - discuss.
- How doesWinthrop Sargeants newspaper review help us to under...
- Discuss how and why British culture changed so dramatically ...
- Konrad Adeneur. Adenauer understood that rearmament was an ...
- Analysis of Jean Hatzfeld's novel, The Antelope's Strategy: ...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.