- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Zionism has never seriously posed this question: Why, during these two thousand years, have not the Jews really tried to return to this country?
- Essay length: 5995 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
Zionism has never seriously posed this question: Why, during these two thousand years, have not the Jews really tried to return to this country? Why was it necessary to wait until the end of the Nineteenth Century for a Herzl to succeed in convincing them of this necessity? Why were all the predecessors of Herzl, like the famous Sabbatai Zebi, treated as false Messiahs. Why were the adherents of Sabbatai Zebi fiercely persecuted by orthodox Judaism?
Naturally, in replying to these interesting questions, refuge is sought behind religion. "As long as the masses believed that they had to remain in the Diaspora until the advent of the Messiah, they had to suffer in silence," states Zitlovski,i whose Zionism is moreover quite conditional. Nevertheless, this explanation tells us nothing. What is required is precisely an answer to the question of why the Jewish masses believed that they had to await the Messiah in order to be able to "return to their country." Religion being an ideological reflection of social interests, it must perforce correspond to them. Today religion does not at all constitute an obstacle to Zionism.ii
In reality just so long as Judaism was incorporated in the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Compare and contrast rationalist and empiricist approaches t...
- The Sumerian Lifestyle and Their Contributions to the Modern...
- In this paper, I will explain why I believe compatibilism is...
- Doctor Faustus.
- John Milton, Sonnet XIX: On His Blindness.
- Questions on the dialogue of Socrates and Laches
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.