- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Capital punishment is a complex issue.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Capital punishment is a complex issue. It isn't simply a question of how to punish criminals. When the death penalty is debated, people will bring up racism, sociology, economics, and politics: racism because more minorities are executed; sociology because our neighborhoods and our class structure play a part in both producing and punishing criminals; economics because poverty plays a part both in the reasons for crime and in the ability of people to defend themselves in the legal system; and politics because the "war against crime"- including the death penalty is debated in political campaigns and may even be a reason that someone is executed, or, less often, pardoned.
You don't need to evoke faith or religious belief to oppose the death penalty. Many groups that are not religious in nature disagree with lawmakers and oppose the death penalty for a variety of reasons.
First, they argue that it costs more to execute a prisoner than it does to lock someone up for life. Studies have suggested that this is true, mainly due to the cost of legal proceedings. The legal appeal process to which a convicted prisoner is entitled can
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminal law (view all)
- Problem questions PACE act Section 24 and 24a
- Criminal Law - Problem Question - Homicide
- At common law, the prosecution were generally prohibited fro...
- Case Studies on Lawful Arrest
- The chain of causation is a fragile concept, easily broken. ...
- Compare the defence of provocation to the new defence of Los...
- Critically discuss the extent to which the defence of loss o...
- Legal Research. In brief, Keeler supplied class A Drugs to ...
- After Woollin, the law of Intention remains unclear, but non...
- This essay will analyze the importance of the rule against d...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.