- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Company Law and Corporate Governance
- Essay length: 6373 words
- Submitted: 20/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
"The knock on effect of Enron on European Initiatives in the area of Corporate Governance has been immeasurable and promises to revitalise the whole of the company law harmonisation agenda"
Background and Introduction
"Company Law and Corporate Governance are right at the heart of the political agenda, on both sides of the Atlantic"1.
The extent of Enron's ruin was enormous, being the largest American company ever to file for bankruptcy2. Justifiably the tragedy sparked an enormous United States Senate Investigation and it was shown that directors of Enron intentionally ignored high risk accounting procedures that led to the energy company's collapse3. After the Enron misfortune, few people doubted the need to re-examine corporate governance globally.
Corporate Governance is a contentious issue for lawyers, accountants, politicians and businesses alike4 and in the last decade corporate governance has been a priority on the agenda of several governments and has been firmly under the spotlight. Corporate scandals such as Enron have exposed companies' susceptibility to mismanagement, conflicts of interest and corruption5. As a result, corporate governance has moved up from being a mere exercise to becoming a considerable concern for companies.
Corporate Governance is an
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
European Union Law (view all)
- Council Directive 2004/707 on transporting retired people (f...
- EU Law - Albatros Pool problem case. Mark and Sunita must be...
- What is the meaning of the term 'measure equivalent to a qua...
- Free movement of workers
- What are the outer limits of Article 28 EU?
- Annotated Bibliography - How the EU works and History.
- The Ordinary Legislative Procedure and Secondary Acts
- What does Dr. Symeonides mean when he characterises Rome II ...
- Critically assess the enforcement actions by the Commission ...
- What was the relationship between the Factortame case and th...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.