- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Consider the meanings of 'recklessness' in criminal law which give rise to this criticism indicating to what extent you agree with it.
The first 200 words of this essay...
"The Caldwell test fails to make a distinction which should be made between
the person who knowingly takes a risk and the person who gives no thought to
whether there is a risk or not" -SMITH AND HOGAN 1992
Consider the meanings of 'recklessness' in criminal law which give rise to
this criticism indicating to what extent you agree with it.
Proof of recklessness in law is sufficient to establish the mens rea for most criminal offences. There are two types of recklessness: subjective and objective recklessness. Recklessness is the taking of, and being aware of, an unjustifiable risk - that is one which is in no way beneficial to society and it is highly unlikely that a reasonable person would have taken that risk. However, the word had produced uncertainty because there is no statutory definition and judges have produced two meanings of recklessness for different crimes.
It is often difficult for the prosecution to prove that D intended to commit the crime in question and for many offences, it is therefore not necessary to show a high degree of blameworthiness; it is sufficient to prove
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminal law (view all)
- "There is no statutory definition of intention in Engli...
- The search of Arnold - Police stop and search powers.
- criminal law assignment
- Criminal Justice, Miscarriages of justice
- Criminal Law - Problem Question - Homicide
- Criminal Law-Homicide problem question - Guinevere dies from...
- Criminal Law - Defining Intention
- Compare the defence of provocation to the new defence of Los...
- Critically discuss the extent to which the defence of loss o...
- Legal Research. In brief, Keeler supplied class A Drugs to ...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.