- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Covenants in land law.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Law and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
A covenant in land law is a promise created by deed1 between two parties, one providing the promise not to engage in an activity (negative) or to do a positive action on their own land for the benefit of the other parties neighbouring land e.g. preservation of non-business character in residential areas.
Covenants between freeholders contain two aspects; a benefit to the person receiving the obligation and a corresponding burden to the provider. The rules relating to transmission of the benefit of the covenant are independent from the transmission of a burden. It is possible for the benefit to run to 'successors in title' of the original covenantee but for the burden to have been destroyed or to bind original covenantor only (see later), and vice versa.
The benefit of a covenant will pass provided that the covenant 'touches and concerns'2 the land of the original covenantee at the time it was made. This means property law is concerned with the transmission of proprietary rights, not personal advantages. This ensures the title is not cluttered up by obligations that are merely temporary, ambiguous and personal in nature, the conveyance of land is unfettered.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Land Law (view all)
- 'The 'mirror' principle, the 'curtain' principle and the 'in...
- fixtures and fittings p/q
- General Principles of Land Law, Fixtures, Chattels
- fixtures and chattels-problem questio
- This problem question deals with the law of adverse possessi...
- Land Law Case. In advising Mary, it must be noted what right...
- Do changes to the adverse possession rules in the Land Regis...
- The Requirement for formalities detracts from the autonomy o...
- The system of land charges registration is a step in the wro...
- Following the decision in Stack v Dowden1, the law concernin...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.