- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Critically analyse Williams' statement in light of the English Criminal Law on Strict Liability
- Essay length: 2631 words
- Submitted: 08/05/2009
The first 200 words of this essay...
LLB 1st Year
Dr Prabha Kotiswaran
Critically analyse Williams' statement in light of the English Criminal Law on Strict Liability.
Glanville Williams's observation on the ambiguities of strict liability appreciates the consequences of conflicting authorities, obfuscating any coherent principle. Strict liability offences are those that do not require the establishment of mens rea as to one of more elements in the actus reus; the defendant may be oblivious to the circumstances or consequences. The words used in a statute can be construed to amount to a strict liability offence depending on the judge's interpretation of these terms, which can evidently result in a conflict of opinions. However such an interpretation is not limited to statutory terms, a number of influential principals are evident. In this critical analysis I will consider the presumption of mens rea and the effects of expressed words on this presumption, illustrating that the interpretation of these terms can be inconsistent. Furthermore I will illustrate the inference of strict liability in relation to the whether the offence is termed to be a 'real' or 'quasi' crime, if the statute provision is of general or special application,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminal law (view all)
- Problem questions PACE act Section 24 and 24a
- Case Studies on Lawful Arrest
- There are different types of consent that include express an...
- The way in which the concept of appropriation under the Thef...
- The aim of this project is to explore and analyse the role o...
- Compare the defence of provocation to the new defence of Los...
- Critically discuss the extent to which the defence of loss o...
- Legal Research. In brief, Keeler supplied class A Drugs to ...
- After Woollin, the law of Intention remains unclear, but non...
- This essay will analyze the importance of the rule against d...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.