- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of psychological (offender) profiling.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of psychological (offender) profiling
Psychological profiling has been described as an investigative technique meant to be used to aid in solving particularly unusual cases. It is essentially felt to be an art, rather than a scientific pursuit (McCann, 1992), used to draw psychological conclusions from the material evidence left behind at a crime scene. The guiding theoretical base behind this increasingly popular but controversial tool is largely from the psychological literature.
Although its origins can be traced as far back as the Bible, the professional development of profiling is most likely to be attributed to the work of the Behavioural Sciences Unit (BSU) at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.
The work of Dr. Thomas Bond (1880s) following his autopsy on the last of Jack the Ripper's victims, the psychological profile of Adolf Hitler by Walter Langer during World War II and James Brussels' highly accurate sketch of the 'Mad Bomber of New York' (and the 'Boston Strangler') are all well-known and highly successful examples of this technique.
The profile is generated based upon what can be termed a psychological assessment of the crime scene (Ault & Reese,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminal law (view all)
- "There is no statutory definition of intention in Engli...
- Criminal Law - Problem Question - Homicide
- The search of Arnold - Police stop and search powers.
- Chain of causation problem question. The given case is conc...
- Drawing on the relevant criminological literature, criticall...
- Compare the defence of provocation to the new defence of Los...
- Critically discuss the extent to which the defence of loss o...
- Legal Research. In brief, Keeler supplied class A Drugs to ...
- After Woollin, the law of Intention remains unclear, but non...
- This essay will analyze the importance of the rule against d...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.