- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Do Judges Make New Law in Hard Cases?
- Essay length: 5573 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
DO JUDGES MAKE NEW LAW IN HARD CASES?
I. INTRODUCTION. 1
II. HERBERT LIONEL ADOLPHUS HART (1907-1992). 2
A. HART'S SLANT ON POSITIVISM. 2
B. HART'S VIEW OF JUDICIAL DECISION MAKING. 3
C. PLAIN CASES - THE MOTOR CAR AN AUTHORATIVE EXAMPLE. 3
D. APPLYING THE AUTHORATIVE EXAMPLE - THE ROLLER SKATE. 4
E. INDETERMINACY - MEN ARE NOT GODS. 4
F. INDETERMINACY OF AIM - THE ELECTRIC CAR. 5
G. DELEGATION - SETTING A RATE. 6
H. REASONABLENESS - THE DUTY OF CARE. 6
I. PRECEDENT - INDETERMINACY OF A COMPLEX KIND. 7
III. RONALD DWORKIN. 8
A. EXPANDED TEXT. 8
B. HOW ARE PRINCIPLES APPLIED? 9
C. STRAW MAN. 9
1. Discretion. 10
D. WHEN CAN A JUDGE MAKE NEW LAW IN DWORKINS MODEL? 12
E. CRITICS OF DWORKIN 13
1. Stanley Fish. 13
2. John Gardner 14
IV. CONCLUSION - IS HART'S JUDGE CREATING NEW LAW? 15
V. BIBLIOGRAPHY. 18
How do judges arrive at the decisions they make when adjudicating cases? This question has been the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
English Legal System (view all)
- To what extent can it be argued that 'youth crime' is a soci...
- Explain what is meant by the rule of law.Consider whether th...
- Explain the role of juries in criminal and civil cases
- The separation of powers in the English Legal System. The Su...
- What is the doctrine of judicial precedent? Must judges in a...
- Principles of UK constitution + express & implied repeal
- In Wades analysis, what are the arguments in favour of each ...
- English legal history - anti-slavery and the case Gregson v ...
- Identify the most significant roles performed by the trial j...
- The Governments consultation paper on the reform of Legal Ai...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.