- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Do Judges Make New Law in Hard Cases?
- Essay length: 5573 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
DO JUDGES MAKE NEW LAW IN HARD CASES?
I. INTRODUCTION. 1
II. HERBERT LIONEL ADOLPHUS HART (1907-1992). 2
A. HART'S SLANT ON POSITIVISM. 2
B. HART'S VIEW OF JUDICIAL DECISION MAKING. 3
C. PLAIN CASES - THE MOTOR CAR AN AUTHORATIVE EXAMPLE. 3
D. APPLYING THE AUTHORATIVE EXAMPLE - THE ROLLER SKATE. 4
E. INDETERMINACY - MEN ARE NOT GODS. 4
F. INDETERMINACY OF AIM - THE ELECTRIC CAR. 5
G. DELEGATION - SETTING A RATE. 6
H. REASONABLENESS - THE DUTY OF CARE. 6
I. PRECEDENT - INDETERMINACY OF A COMPLEX KIND. 7
III. RONALD DWORKIN. 8
A. EXPANDED TEXT. 8
B. HOW ARE PRINCIPLES APPLIED? 9
C. STRAW MAN. 9
1. Discretion. 10
D. WHEN CAN A JUDGE MAKE NEW LAW IN DWORKINS MODEL? 12
E. CRITICS OF DWORKIN 13
1. Stanley Fish. 13
2. John Gardner 14
IV. CONCLUSION - IS HART'S JUDGE CREATING NEW LAW? 15
V. BIBLIOGRAPHY. 18
How do judges arrive at the decisions they make when adjudicating cases? This question has been the subject
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
English Legal System (view all)
- Assess the value of lay decision-making in the criminal just...
- Should the jury trial be abolished?
- 'Judges do not make law - they only declare it' Discuss.
- 'Trial by jury is an outdated, expensive and inefficient met...
- Describe the most important features of the doctrine of judi...
- In Wades analysis, what are the arguments in favour of each ...
- English legal history - anti-slavery and the case Gregson v ...
- Identify the most significant roles performed by the trial j...
- The Governments consultation paper on the reform of Legal Ai...
- Since deciding whether or not someone has committed a crimin...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.