- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How to deal with crime and delinquency has long been a debated issue in Canada and still is today while crime seems to be increasing.
The first 200 words of this essay...
How to deal with crime and delinquency has long been a debated issue in Canada and still is today while crime seems to be increasing. Some argue for rehabilitating law breakers, while others argue to increase the severity of their punishment. Many Canadians, especially victims, are upset at how the current formal adversarial justice system operates because the tribunals are often seen as unresponsive to the needs of people in the conflict; conflicts are framed in legal language; and the process is confusing, time consuming, and costly (*Law, pg.1). In the adversarial justice system, victims also have very limited opportunity to say how they have been affected by crime, the system keeps victims and offenders apart while others speak for them, and the offender is not encouraged to accept responsibility. This justice process is also known as event based (Law, pg.15) and is mainly centered at finding the defendant guilty or not guilty and lacks focus on the underlying problems which cause the conflict.
An alternative to the adversarial justice system which I would argue is more productive at reducing crime is a restorative justice system. This system is particularly strong in the Canadian aboriginal community (Law,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminal law (view all)
- Criminal Law - Problem Question - Homicide
- Are jurors rational and impartial decision makers? What are ...
- Explain the role and functions of both the magistrate's cour...
- Criminal problem question
- Elements of Theft and Their Problems
- Compare the defence of provocation to the new defence of Los...
- Critically discuss the extent to which the defence of loss o...
- Legal Research. In brief, Keeler supplied class A Drugs to ...
- After Woollin, the law of Intention remains unclear, but non...
- This essay will analyze the importance of the rule against d...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.