- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Legal Reform of the Constitution - introduction of a 5 year term for Parliament.
The first 200 words of this essay...
"We are introducing legislation to fix parliamentary terms. The date of the next General Election will be 7 May 2015. This is a hugely significant constitutional innovation. It is simply not right that General Elections can be called according to a Prime Ministers whims. So, this prime Minister will be the first Prime Minister to give up that right"
In the light of the above quote, critically evaluate the effectiveness of this measure in achieving legal reform of the UK constitution.
A constitution is a framework of rules which determine how a country should be governed. The constitution of the United Kingdom is unwritten, unlike the USA's constitution, the rules of the state are not written in a single codified document. The British constitution was defined as a "whole system or government of a country, the collection of rules which establish and regulate or govern the government"1. An unwritten constitution derives from various different sources such as statute law, common law, treaties, the royal prerogative and convention. The introduction of a 5 year fixed term Parliament has taken a huge step in reforming the UK constitution. These proposals were introduced by Nick Clegg; " First, traditional powers
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Public Law (view all)
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a written const...
- Essay on the function of Judicial Review
- Public Law Essay
- The significance of the parliament acts 1911 and 1949 for th...
- "The Royal Prerogative remains a significant source of ...
- Discuss the following: (i) what the Intergovernmental Panel ...
- Constitutional Conventions of the UK
- Explain the idea and function of Parliamentary Sovereignty i...
- The rule of law, the separation of powers, and the existence...
- Identify the constitutional powers of a Prime Minister of th...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.