- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Lessons for an ASEAN human rights system
- Essay length: 4335 words
- Submitted: 12/12/2008
The first 200 words of this essay...
International and Regional Protection of Human Rights
Consider the ways in which the other regional human rights mechanisms could provide suitable precedents for the ASEAN Commission on Human Rights. What form do you think the Commission should take?
There is no doubt that having human rights and a commission written into the ASEAN Charter signals a new dawn in the history of the Association. These are no small steps, given the huge differences in attitudes towards human rights in the region and the Association's strong adherence to the policy of non-interference. Whatever the motivations are for this human rights initiative, ASEAN appears to be compelled by the pressures of globalization to improve their systems of governance and narrow the gap between rich and poor. Without these improvements, the planned economic integration of the region's economies is likely to bring dire consequences which could threaten the very economic survival of the region. The apparent commitment to human rights protection appears to be part of this macro-economic picture.
In this paper, I will briefly compare the African, European and Inter-American systems of human rights protection in three areas, namely developmental approaches,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Human Rights Law (view all)
- Bellinger v Bellinger case note
- Have the courts helped the Human Rights Act achieve its obje...
- Is police use of stop and search ethical?
- Critically consider the extent that 'right to silence' and t...
- Does Article 15 of the European Convention on Human Rights a...
- Human Rights - Articles 6 and 8 applied to fictitious cases.
- The Human RIghts Act Has Revolutionised the Way Judges Inter...
- Advise Jon regarding whether or not Raila can be prevented f...
- Discussion of the right to information
- Over the last 25 years, there has been a significant movemen...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.