- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Question 1: Explain the roles of legislative, executive, and judicial arms of the government in Australia
- Essay length: 4098 words
- Submitted: 20/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
Question 1: Explain the roles of legislative, executive, and judicial arms of the government in Australia.
Government of Australia is divided into three parts i.e. Parliament, Executive government, and Judicature. Thus traditionally the law making body is the Legislature, the one responsible for executive functions is the Executive, and the one responsible for determining the meaning of law is the Judiciary. The historical reason for separating the functions was to secure freedom for the individual by controlling abuse of public power exercised by authoritarian rulers. Practically, this separation of powers cannot apply in Australia because of the close relationship of the Executive and the Legislature.
Parliament: In Australia, the nine Parliaments, as Legislatures, are the principle law-making authorities. Thus, law-making power of the Commonwealth is exercised by parliament. Parliament has two principle functions: the making of Legislation and the supervision of Executive. The parliament of Australia is not sovereign because of the division of legislative powers between the Commonwealth and States. The constitution divides total law making powers into specific powers, which is granted to Commonwealth parliament and general law making powers are retained by states, both the powers are limited by constitution by imposing prohibitions.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Contract Law (view all)
- The Main Requirements of a Simple Legal Binding Contract - L...
- UCTA problem
- Contract Law/Case study
- Promissory estoppel is a necessary supplement to the doctrin...
- Compare torts liability with contractual liability and comme...
- Offer and Acceptance Case. Advise Angus, Bruce and Colin wh...
- Contract Problem Question - Exclusion of Liability/ Exclusio...
- Questions on Offer and Acceptance.
- Intention to create legal relations
- Contract law - review of cases.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.