- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The English Legal system falls into two categories which are divided into Criminal Law and Civil Law.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The English Legal system- Civil and Criminal Law
The English Legal system falls into two categories which are divided into Criminal Law and Civil Law. Criminal law is an area of law which deals with the crimes that individuals commit. Consequently, there is punishment for those who break laws and offend against the society. Civil law forms rights between individuals and co-operations and provides remedies to resolve disputes.
Differences between Civil and Criminal law include the purpose of the laws, the terminology used within the type of law, the court in which it is heard, the court structure, people who bring the cases to court and also the burden/ standards of proof which are needed for the type of cases.
The purpose of Civil law primarily concentrates on the altercations about the duties and the rights of individuals or companies, solving them by providing remedies. It does not relate to punishments. Civil law also creates rules between individuals or co-operations, if duties are dishonoured; it is recognised as torts which are offences. Within Civil law, there is the claimant and the defendant, and no prosecution.
Criminal law however, has been put in practise
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
English Legal System (view all)
- Law Making - Judicial Precedent.
- "European Community Legislation is drafted in a way tha...
- Parliamentary Sovereignty
- Do judges make law? The legal systems within the United King...
- Critically analyse and assess the remedy of proprietary esto...
- In Wades analysis, what are the arguments in favour of each ...
- English legal history - anti-slavery and the case Gregson v ...
- Identify the most significant roles performed by the trial j...
- The Governments consultation paper on the reform of Legal Ai...
- Since deciding whether or not someone has committed a crimin...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.