- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Nature of law.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Nature of law
What Is Meant By Law
It is difficult to be precise as to what law is, but it may be defined as a code of conduct for the people in a given community, which controls their activities towards each other, with respect to their private and business lines, and to their relationship with the state.
Divisions of Law
English law is usually classified as being either public or private law.
1. Public Law
Public law is the law which governs the relationship between the state and individual members within the state, and between one state and another. This division of law comprises several specialist classes of law such as:
a) Criminal Law
Crime affects the whole community and as offences are considered to be against the state, they are punished by a system laid down and administered by the state. Criminal law is designed to protect the public from attack on their individual property or persons, and to enable any individual or group of individuals to perform their rights and duties under the law.
b) Constitutional law
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
English Legal System (view all)
- Sources of Law - Judicial precedent.
- Explain the development of equity. Describe and comment on t...
- ‘Outline Hart’s Reply To Dworkin In the Po...
- To what extent has the children act 1989 ensured that more a...
- There is nothing in any way novel in according supremacy to ...
- Whilst many people define the English legal System by their ...
- Principles of UK constitution + express & implied repeal
- In Wades analysis, what are the arguments in favour of each ...
- English legal history - anti-slavery and the case Gregson v ...
- Identify the most significant roles performed by the trial j...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.