- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
THE USE OF FORCE IN THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY
The first 200 words of this essay...
THE USE OF FORCE IN THE
From the beginning of time, conflict between individuals has been the primary reason for the rule of law, rather than that of an arbitrary nature. The statement made by Cassese above refers to both a charter created by states to control the use of force in inter-state relations, and a corresponding customary law. When treaties similar to the United Nations Charter (henceforth UNCH) are created by a number of contracting parties, customary law exists along side it. Although, treaties are only binding on contracting parties, customary law is binding on all states unless regional custom or persistent objections show the contrary. 1
Hugo Grotius, the 'father' of international law in the seventeenth century stated that '[I]t be lawful to kill him who is preparing to kill'.2 If the words used by Grotius were evaluated then one would realise that the use of force is to be at all costs the last resort. At a certain stage during the development of international rules, States were permitted to resort to war, or to use force short of war in order to achieve their aims.3 This is both a prominent
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International Law (view all)
- Human Trafficking In Australia. This essay will be covering...
- Critical review essay: Feminist Approaches to International ...
- Millenium Development Goals
- Immigration Law
- International Law - Does International Law Exist
- What are the key challenges to governance of Internet commer...
- How significant is the concept of party autonomy for commerc...
- Critically assess any two provisions of Rome I and evaluate ...
- Critically compare and contrast the common law and Brussels ...
- Critically examine two bases of jurisdictions under the Brus...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.