- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
To what extent is the rule contained in the Salomon v. Salomon & Co. Ltd judgement open to abuse?
The first 200 words of this essay...
To what extent is the rule contained in the Salomon v. Salomon & Co. Ltd
judgement open to abuse?
The company as a separate legal personality from that of its members as defined by the Companies Act 1862 was established in common law by the House of Lords in 1879 when they delivered their judgement in the case of Salomon v. Salomon & Co. Ltd. Indeed, this case is now seminal, with both practitioners and students of the law referring to it as the foundation upon which modern company law is based. However, although the outcome of Salomon v Salomon & Co. Ltd is now firmly embedded that is not to say it has not been prone to the effects of the occasional tremor. Since this ruling and some might argue prior to this ruling by the House of Lords questions relating to the interpretation of the act and its scope have been hotly debated.
While some see this ruling as clearly interpreting the 1862 act at common law others contend that such an interpretation is too rigid and clearly open to abuse. It would be argued that a separate legal personality in conjunction with
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Commercial Law (view all)
- Section 205 of the companies Act 1963 provides a comprehensi...
- Coporate Law and Limited Liability. There are certain circum...
- Separate Legal Personality.
- Corporations in law. A corporation under Company law or cor...
- Company Law Assignment. I will identify the theory of a cor...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.