- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Universal conceptions of human rights should supersede culturally relative conceptions. Discuss. Assess the effectiveness of the international community with reference to the cultural practice of female genital mutilation.
- Essay length: 10704 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
Topic: Universal conceptions of human rights should supersede culturally relative conceptions. Discuss. Assess the effectiveness of the international community with reference to the cultural practice of female genital mutilation.
The atrocities committed against individuals in events such as slavery, the two World Wars, the Holocaust, and apartheid in South Africa caused the issue of human rights to become a major concern to all nations across the globe, particularly the western nations. The issue of human rights, however, has its roots in natural law theories of the 17th and 18th centuries and was more firmly established contemporarily in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other covenants, conventions and declarations that were derived from it. At the core of this issue, is the controversy as to whether human rights are universal or culturally relative. Another area of disputation is the efficiency of the international community in the face of cultural practices that serve to discriminate against individuals, such as female genital mutilation, for example. The use of secondary data was applied in carrying out this research to address the above-mentioned issues.
INTRODUCTION AND RATIONALE FOR STUDY
The issue of human rights has been an issue
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Jurisprudence (view all)
- Unlawful Act Manslaughter
- Section 1(1) of the Theft Act 1968 provides that 'a person i...
- 'Martin Luther King played the major role in the Civil Right...
- Copyright Law.
- Critically discuss John Stuart Mill's liberty principle with...
- This essay will look at what is meant by the Common Sense of...
- In this essay I am going to discuss Lord Woolfs statement in...
- Jurisprudence - Conjoined Twins - Evaluate the contention th...
- Offences Against the Person. Case note regarding R. v Brown ...
- The death penalty is an effective punishment for the worst c...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.