- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Viscount Sankey's Golden Thread Speech
The first 200 words of this essay...
In this essay I will be illustrating the importance of Viscount Sankey's speech in the case of Woolmington v DPP  All ER, utilising references as evidence to support my findings and demonstrate my understanding.
In the case of Woolmington v DPP Woolmington had shot and killed his wife, Violet, who had left him a month earlier and gone to stay with her mother. When charged with Violet's murder Woolmington claimed that he hadn't intended to shoot Violet and the gun had accidently fired when he was attempting to show her the gun, insisting the gun was only to scare Violet into returning to him.
The ruling took place in the House of Lords, where the issue was focused around if the statement of law in 'Foster's Crown Law'1 was correct where it states 'where a death occurred it is presumed to be murder unless proven otherwise'. In his summary, Swift J brought Fosters Crown Law to the attention of the jury, stating that 'the prosecution prove the killing, and in the absence of explanation that is murder.'2 This suggests that according to Fosters law there is only a necessity for the prosecution to prove the actus
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminal law (view all)
- PROBLEM Consider the problems of causation involved in the f...
- Consensus vs. Conflict Criminal Justice Models.
- 'Analyse the meaning of the words 'appropriation' and 'disho...
- The Lindbergh kidnapping
- criminal Essay
- Compare the defence of provocation to the new defence of Los...
- Critically discuss the extent to which the defence of loss o...
- Legal Research. In brief, Keeler supplied class A Drugs to ...
- After Woollin, the law of Intention remains unclear, but non...
- This essay will analyze the importance of the rule against d...
""Zoey. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.