- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Analyse the text (Reid, 2007) in terms of its cohesive systems. Look for the various cohesive chains that operate throughout the text - minor ones as well as major - and check the cohesive links from one sentence to another.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Analyse the text (Reid, 2007) in terms of its cohesive systems. Look for the various cohesive chains that operate throughout the text - minor ones as well as major - and check the cohesive links from one sentence to another. Then, in an essay of about 750 words, explain the cohesive systems of the text and their contribution to its overall meaning.
Journalist use simple cohesive devices of repetition and synonymy to link information within the context of their stories to provide an ease of comprehension and improved lexico-grammatical flow. By analysing the article by Tim Reid (2007) "Mystery of the vanishing watch in President's timeless moment", I will explain how the author uses cohesive systems, chains and links to contribute to the overall meaning of the story. I will expose the exophoric and endophoric referencing and the use of word sets that link the story together and how this is achieved.
Firstly, the opening sentence contains an exophoric reference as it says, "It is standard tourist advice", which may or may not be common knowledge to the reader, yet the author assumes the reader knows this and therefore
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Argumentative or Persuasive Essays (view all)
- Prepositional and Phrasal Verbs
- Women in Politics Essay. Power and Pornography: Male Suprema...
- Discuss the implications of the global spread of English for...
- Argumentative Essay: Video games, beneficial or detrimental?
- Discuss the cultural and political history that led English ...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.