- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss the presentation of Hell in Book One of ParadiseLost.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Poetry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss the presentation of Hell in Book One of Paradise Lost.
Hell is presented in several ways within Paradise Lost but there are three main techniques used by Milton. These include through his own commentary, through Satan and his speeches and also through Beelzebub. Additionally Hell is also presented through the techniques used by Milton, his structure, style and use of language. Throughout Paradise Lost Hell is presented as a place, but also as a state of mind, which Satan refers to in his speech.
Milton uses many opposites in Paradise Lost, contrasting Heaven with Hell, God with Satan, and good with evil. The contrast between light and dark exists in all of these opposites. The narrator characterizes the angels' physical appearance as full of light, and the devils' as shadowy and dark. Milton also uses light to symbolize God and God's grace. The absence of light in Hell and in Satan himself represents the absence of God and his grace. The opening scenes reveal Hell as a fiery, glittering place that reflects the corrupt souls of the devils. Milton establishes two opposing poles of evil and good, dark and light, and the action
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Milton (view all)
- Paradise Lost Books IX and X "Discuss the development o...
- Both Spenser and Milton use Language to Describe Allegorical...
- 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac.
- How does Gaskell use setting and location to reveal the char...
- Jean-Baptiste Molire's Don Juan has all the outward appearan...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo