- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In the Epic, Gilgamesh, is searching for immortality. This want came from the death of his beloved friend, Enkidu, which is the major turning point in the story.
The first 200 words of this essay...
English 231 Sec 1025
8 March 2012
Gilgamesh and Mortality
In The Epic of Gilgamesh, the subject of fame and mortality come up quite a bit, it is the drive and reason the main characters in the story fight and live for. In the Epic, Gilgamesh, is searching for immortality. This want came from the death of his beloved friend, Enkidu, which is the major turning point in the story. From that moment on, the story shows the development and wisdom Gilgamesh gains throughout the epic. Provided, a quote, with the theme of mortality is of significance in The Epic of Gilgamesh, with that, there is a development of his character, view of mortality, and the relationship of fame and death throughout the text.
One quote in the text that is of significance in relation to Enkidu's death was said by Gilgamesh:
"I am going to die! -am I not like Enkidu?!
Deep sadness penetrates my core, I fear death, and now roam the wilderness-" (9. 2-4.)
The quote shows Gilgamesh's grief as he is shouting his sadness within
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classical Studies (view all)
- Analyse & fortolkning af Lnningsdag
- The Changing Character of Creon In the Antigone.
- Irish Immigration
- Commentaries on Catullus' Poetry (Poems 72 & 42)
- What is metatheatricality? Does it have a significant functi...
- JUVENIL'S SATIRES - attacking the Patron-Client Relationship...
- In the Greek tragedy Oedipus Rex, Sophocles examines the ide...
- In Book 9 of Homers The Iliad, Aias seemingly plays a very m...
- What is the main contribution made by the Chorus in The Buri...
- Does Classical Mythology reflect a disposition to explore th...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student