- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
John Milton's "Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce" argued that the most valid reason for divorce was that of incompatibility and his prophetic vision of this
The first 200 words of this essay...
Dr. Frances Batycki
14 Apr. 2005
Milton's Prophetic Vision of Divorce
John Milton's "Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce" argued that the most valid reason for divorce was that of incompatibility and his prophetic vision of this reason for divorce is the one now primarily relied on to end marriage in our modern culture. His view contrasted with the social and religious laws of the time and he was both criticized for advocating such a radical change in the marriage laws and accused of having selfish motivations for his position since his own marriage was proving to be problematic at the time he wrote "Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce". If John Milton was alive today I think he would be both elated and impressed that the lawmakers had finally seen the issue of divorce through his eyes, although he would have serious issues with the basis and sometimes flimsy reasons on which incompatibility is established and possibly have some objections to the fact that that women have as much right to pursue this path to freedom as men do. Whatever his motivations were in writing the "DDD" he backed his position
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Milton (view all)
- An Analysis of Satan’s Soliloquy in John Milton&...
- Critical Commentary on Kubla Khan
- “Ideology represents the imaginary relationship of ...
- By means of what textual strategies does Milton seek to 'jus...
- Milton: A republican and a christian - Discuss
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.