- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Piercy's Barbie Doll tells the short life story of a specific girl. How does this poem help to illustrate or dramatize some of the ideas we find in A Work of Artifice?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Poetry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
ENGL 227C - Visions of Childhood
April 28, 2002
6. Piercy's Barbie Doll tells the short life story of a specific girl. How does this poem help to illustrate or dramatize some of the ideas we find in A Work of Artifice?
The bounding of the feet, crippled brain, and the hair in curlers mentioned in the poem A Work of Artifice are all things that women do to look good. The bounding of the feet is an old Chinese custom because small feet were considered beautiful. Some girls pretend to act ditzy, or having a cripple brain, because they think men will like them better if they are that way. Many women curl their hair to be more beautiful. All of these things relate to the poem Barbie Doll because the girl in the poem is trying to achieve the perfect looks because someone once told her she had a big nose and fat legs.
Barbie Doll exemplifies some of the concepts that we see in A Work of Artifice because like the girl in Barbie Doll the bonsai tree in A Work
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Donne (view all)
- What is a Metaphysical poem?
- Take three themes related to the use of counselling skills a...
- Discuss "The Flea" as a typically metaphysical poe...
- Compare the poems by Shakespeare and Donne. Show how, though...
- Characteristic Styles of John Donne and other Metaphysical P...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.