- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Romeo and Juliet
The first 200 words of this essay...
Romeo and Juliet
by William Shakespeare, 1564-1606.
Romeo and Juliet is one of the best-known and most famous plays by William Shakespeare, who himself is probably still Britain's best-known producer of literature, seem from a world point of view. It is one of what I suppose that I would call his Italian Plays. These are a group which are set, more or less, as far as I can see, in what we now call Italy, but which then I think was a group of little city-states or tiny little nations, each centred on a town or city - such as Venice (the Merchant of Venice is an example.)
It describes the climate of fear, custom and emotion surrounding a bitter battle or feud between two warring families in the City of Verona, about the time that Shakespeare would have been writing it - say in about the early 1590s. The play is centred on the sudden and eep love of one young member of one family for one of the other.
Shakespeare used a variety of scources for his dramas. The story of Romeo & Juliet was by all accounts taken from the poem, The trajical history
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Romeo and Juliet (view all)
- Comparative essay on theme of Love in Romeo and Juliet and t...
- A Comparative Study of the Theme of Love in Romeo and Juliet...
- Foreboding in Romeo and Juliet
- Compare the different film versions of Romeo and Juliet
- Critical Evaluation of "Romeo and Juliet" By Baz L...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.