- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Shakespeare's Hamlet as a Tragedy.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Shakespeare's Hamlet as a Tragedy
Hamlet, the story of a young prince who seeks to revenge his father's death by killing his uncle, Claudius, is one of the most favorite and complex Shakespearean tragedies. Hamlet is unsettled by Claudius taking over the throne and his mother's hasty remarriage but does nothing except verbalize this discontent. Encountering the ghost of his dead father, who tells Hamlet that he was murdered by Claudius, gives reason to Hamlet to seek revenge; however, Hamlet continually postpones his actions and, this being his tragic flaw, leads to his downfall.
Shakespeare's Hamlet is the classic example of a tragedy as defined by A.C. Bradley. Bradley says that a Shakespearean tragedy is the story of a hero who encounters significant suffering. The hero, a man of high status and an "exceptional being" who inspires "fear or calamity" in others, often compares himself or his situation to happier times and struggles with an internal dilemma. The tragic hero brings about his own downfall through his actions, or his tragic flaw, and his destruction affects those around him. Shakespeare also occasionally uses abnormal conditions of the mind, such as insanity, and includes the supernatural,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hamlet (view all)
- Consider the significance of death and disease in 'The Duche...
- Portrayal of women in 'Hamlet'
- Endgame" is written in the unique style associated with...
- Thomas Kyd - Bring out the significance of play within the p...
- Contrast an Elizabethan and a modern audience's understandin...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo