- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Long, the Short and the Tall
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Long the Short and the Tall
Willis Hall has claimed that he wrote the play "simply as entertainment." How far do you agree with the statement that The Long and the Short and the Tall is only meant to entertain an audience and not educate them?
The Long and the Short and the Tall is a play set in the Malayan jungle in 1942 during the Second World War. The play focuses on a small British patrol group who were sent north into the jungle to check for signs of Japanese advance. The playwright is Willis Hall who was first a regular solider serving in Singapore. The play was written for amateur actors in Edinburgh as they had regional accents, which suited the roles for 1950's characters. The title "The Long the Short and the Tall" came from an anti-war song, which was popular during the Second World War.
The Long and the Short and the Tall offers the reader a new perceptive of war, responsibility, and isolation while also entertaining. The author Willis Hall makes use of his first hand experience as a solider to give the impression that the realities of war
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Much Ado About Nothing (view all)
- To what extent is “El médico de su honr...
- Theme of Love and War.
- Mother Courage and her children by Brecht
- Compare and contrast the two love stories ("Peleus and ...
- Much Ado About Nothing is a play in which language is a key ...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.