- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Project Paper - The short story.
- Essay length: 6755 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Project Paper
(A) The short story
1. Define short story
A short story is a form more realistic than the tale and is of modern origin. The writer usually presents the main events in greater fullness. Fine writers of short stories are skilled in rendering a scene (which is a vivid or dramatic moment described in enough detail to create the illusion that the reader is practically there. The writers try to show rather than simply to tell. A short story is more than just a sequence of happenings. A finely wrought short story has the richness and conciseness of an excellent lyric poem. Spontaneous and natural as the finished story may seem, the writer has written it so artfully that there is meaning in even seemingly casual speeches and apparently trivial details. Some literary short story tell of an epiphany. Other short stories tell of a character initiated into experience or maturity. The short story is of more recent origin.
According to the Dictionary Literary Terms written by Dr Rosli Talif, a short story is a brief functional NARRATIVE in PROSE that has a more formal structure than the TALE< from which it originates.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Wordsworth (view all)
- Compare and contrast the poem “Pylons” by ...
- Critical Commentary on Sir Orfeo.
- The supernatural in Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancien...
- Rachel Carson, the author of "Obligation to Endure,&quo...
- Attitudes to London in William Blakes 'London' and William W...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.