- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The word formation process. Analyse the importance of word formation mechanism in maintaining the vitality of language
The first 200 words of this essay...
(a) Write a short introduction about word formation process. 
The term "word formation", as the name suggest, is all about creating new words. "Word formation process" is the process by which new words are created or invented. Every language is in constant need for new words. This is mainly because of the development in the technological field. New products are coming on the market and all of them need names by which to be called. Because of these new inventions and changes, a language needs to borrow, derive or otherwise coin new words simply because new things need names. The formation of words does not just appear like that out of the blue, but rather, there are several methods that are used to create new words.
Before considering the techniques used to coin new words, let us consider language as a tool for communication and some vicissitudes it has undergone with the elapsing of time. The only means by which humans communicate is language (be it spoken or body language). It is the most vital tool of interaction between men. With time, language needs to change in order to meet with the requirements of the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Argumentative or Persuasive Essays (view all)
- Evolution of language. Humans exclusively use language, howe...
- Language and Social Power
- Language Universals and Learning a Second Language.
- Protest Songs of the Vietnam War
- Language Case Analysis. Codeswitching between English, Kanna...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student